The Clairefontaine company in France is now managed by sixth generation family members and is currently the only European manufacturer making its own paper for its own products. This guarantees consistent quality and better control over the environmental impact of the manufacturing process.
If you will, please tell us which of these things is most important to you as a consumer:
- Clairefontaine paper is made from pulp and wood by-products from forests independently certified by PEFC or FSC as sustainably managed.
- Clairefontaine has reduced its water consumption through an advanced recycling method. The water is returned to the River Meurthe cleaner than when it arrived at the mill. The water is so clean when it is returned to the river people can swim, boat and fish downstream within sight of the mill.
- Our paper is chlorine-free. A gift of nature, a mineral called calcium carbonate gives Clairefontaine paper its famous trademark qualities of extra white and ultra smooth.
- The ink used in all Clairefontaine and Rhodia products abides by the most stringent European environmental standards. The inks are water-based and made from vegetable oil pigments.
- We supply most of our own energy as Clairefontaine operates a dual power generation system (electricity and steam) which supplies 80% of the mill’s needs.
- Through a plan for improving sorting at source and recycling/transforming, Clairefontaine has reduced the quantity of solid waste produced by the plant by over two-thirds. Packaging is designed to produce the least waste (returnable containers, bulk packaging, etc.) The waste from the water treatment plant is converted into agricultural compost. This is a first for the paper industry.
We received a recent letter from Michael Marchesan asking us to develop an fountain pen friendly engineer’s pad. When Karen Doherty asked why engineers couldn’t use the standard grid, Michael responded as follows:
I used to do all of my math/science on graph paper for years until I began engineering study and realized the beauty of engineering paper.
Engineering paper has it’s grid on the backside, which you do not actually write on. The grid shows through to the front of the paper which is blank, so you can have the benefits of writing on gridded paper, without actually writing on a grid.
When you tear your sheet off the glued-top-bound pad, it appears as if though you wrote in perfectly straight lines and did all your calculations, figures and measurements with incredible precision on a blank sheet without the distraction of a grid on your work.
The other benefit to this is that the grid does not show up when your work is photocopied from engineering paper.
Each grid on engineering paper is 0.2″x0.2″, with bold grid-lines forming 1″x1″ squares every 5 grids–great for scaling and doing precise engineering calculations and figures.
So who else out there would like to see Rhodia produce a fountain pen friendly version of this specialized paper? Spread the word and tell people to comment on this post.
We’d like to know what keeps you coming back to Rhodia Drive – what type of content you prefer: what you’d like to see more of, and what you’d like to see less of.
Judging by the number of comments we receive, we can clearly tell that you enjoy offering your feedback on our products – which we really appreciate. Over the years, your feedback has helped to upgrade and improve product design which creates a win-win situation for the both of us. These posts will now typically be featured as “Tuesday Talk Back.”
We also know that you love our contests & giveaways – that’s a no brainer and we’ll continue to offer them as often as we can.
If you wouldn’t mind taking a moment to offer your feedback on this form, we’d really appreciate it. If you don’t see the form below, please visit the blog directly, in order to submit your responses. Thank you!
Boulder Colorado based online retailer European Paper Company is now stocking the Ltd. Edition Rhodia ICE products and is offering a coupon for $5 off an $85 purchase by using the coupon code ICE5 before 10/15.
Five sizes are available in this special edition of a customer favorite:
No. 11 – 3 x 4″
No. 12 – 3.375 x 4.75″
No. 13 – 4 x 6″
No. 16 – 6 x 8.25″
No. 18 – 8.25 x 11.75″
Your comments counted. We will be keeping the hardbound edition for 2016 and not changing over to refillable.
Since more and more people like to draft and make notes on graph paper, we may explore developing a daily pocket planner with this type of notes page.